Thursday, October 11, 2012

Can we talk Comedy (not comedically) here?

Of course we can. I get to choose the topics, right? So...

I just read an online headline: "11 Awesome Up-And-Coming Funny Ladies You Should Know"
No, I didn't think they were directing that at me, specifically, but I was curious so, since I always enjoy funny stuff, I clicked.

There are pictures of the young ladies with what, I guess, is supposed to be one of their funnier gags. The very first one, right out of the box and rated as #1, has a funny line! But, it's NSFW. A couple of the others are questionable. Curiosity moved me around the innernetz looking for more about the ladies and their humor. More NSFW and stuff I won't use here. But... I laughed a lot! Some great stuff!

Like they say, "Humor lies in the ears of the beholder." To tell the truth, I don't have any idea if somebody said that or not. If they didn't, they should have.

One of the funniest human beings ever on the face of the earth, to me, was Buddy Hackett. Chubby and usually wearing a goofy look, he was constantly popping off one-liners and funny stories. He was on Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" frequently. And frequently he'd say something just a tiny bit short of being censorable. Then he'd put on an innocent face, looking around as if to say, "What's wrong? Did I say something I shouldn't have?"

I saw him live in Las Vegas. One of the pottiest potty mouths I'd ever heard! And I laughed so hard my jaws actually locked up. I doubled over and almost couldn't get back up. But the way he did it just didn't seem "dirty." He used profanity in a way that made the use of profanity funny. I thought that was ingenious.

Years later I heard about a young comic named Eddie Murphy. I saw his infamous routine, "Raw," on cable TV. Bored me to tears. It was George Carlin on steroids. Except George was funny. I like Murphy. I've watched him on SNL. His "Buh-wee," stuff is hilarious. I've seen a lot of his movies. I've watched movies just because he was in them. He seems, in private life, like a nice man. Color me Fan.

Moving to the other side of the Comedic Spectrum, I offer up Red Skelton, Abbott and Costello, George Burns & Gracie Allen, Jack Benny, Flip Wilson, Charlie Callas, just for starters, as examples of humor without a single "cuss word" being uttered. On stage.

There are hours and hours of their work on YouTube if you care to sample their work for yourself. I don't think you'll be disappointed. That is, if you don't mind, or you like, "clean comedy."

I think I'll write more about the Subject of Comedy later. Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice! Libelous, derogatory and inflammatory comments will be deleted and the poster will be banned. And keep in mind the possibility your language may be offensive to tender ears. We try to keep things "Rated PG13." Thank you.