Thursday, October 18, 2012

Happy 161st Birthday Moby Dick!


Artist unknown

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little
or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought
I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world."

From that opening line (frequently referred to as "Call me Ishmael), for some unknown reason, I knew I'd enjoy reading this book. It was one of the dreaded Jr. High "assignments." And, once again, "Teacher Knew Best." I enjoyed it. And enjoyed the class discussion. I think I even correctly answered most of the test answers.

The story of Ishmael and Captain Ahab's hunt for the Great White Whale, Moby Dick, is a classic. It's full of things that intrigued my young mind... a giant sea creature, whaling ships, a crazy captain and a lot of interesting crew members.

Herman Melville (August 1, 1819 - September 28, 1891), the author, was a novelist, short story writer and poet. Moby Dick or, The Whale (1851), is his best known work. Thanks, Herman. It was a good read.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice! Libelous, derogatory and inflammatory comments will be deleted and the poster will be banned. And keep in mind the possibility your language may be offensive to tender ears. We try to keep things "Rated PG13." Thank you.