Sunday, October 7, 2012

"News From Years Gone By"

One of my first posts was about The Courier-Tribune. Matt's regular feature (see title above) regularly piques my interest. Something about an old business, person or event, usually. A number of times I've found things like the fact that coal was mined nearby. And frequently I've wanted to know, as Paul Harvey used to say, "The Rest of the Story."

Last week's issue had an article from October 3, 1912, detailing events of "The big fair and picnic held in Baileyville" the previous week. It included a list of winners for a number of contests. What I'd like to know is what the heck was the "beer contest" that Joe Jordan won? Assuming the contest included the consumption of beer, it sounds like something that would be really popular today.

Here's to ya!

If you know anything about such a contest, I'd be interested in hearing from you. "Inquiring minds want to know."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice! Libelous, derogatory and inflammatory comments will be deleted and the poster will be banned. And keep in mind the possibility your language may be offensive to tender ears. We try to keep things "Rated PG13." Thank you.