Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Oooooops!


A few days ago I wrote about the American Flag. A reader pointed out something I didn't include. What to do with the flag you're replacing. I'll correct my "haste makes waste" (and incomplete posts) error right now.

You've probably heard that tattered and torn American Flags should be disposed of by burning. I don't like the sound of the perfectly good word, "disposed" in this context, but it is what it is. And some folks don't like using another fine word, "burn," when discussing Our Flag. How about "Retire, Retiring, and Retirement?" I like those. And that's how the subject is described in the American Legion Manual of Ceremonies.

Most Legion Posts will Retire your flag for you. And, a number of Boy Scout Troops will help you. Give them a call.

I like the picture I ran, so much that I'm putting it up again.


Image Detail: Melinda Bula of El Dorado Hills, Calif., made this art quit for her son
serving in the U.S. Marines. It's titled "Our Flag Was Still There."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice! Libelous, derogatory and inflammatory comments will be deleted and the poster will be banned. And keep in mind the possibility your language may be offensive to tender ears. We try to keep things "Rated PG13." Thank you.